Friday, February 11, 2011

MEX-PATRIOT - 02.1 - Finding Your Way

I'm lucky. My brain naturally navigates by the sun. That doesn't work on a foggy San Francisco night. I can also read any kind of map. My son is the only Marine I know who needs GPS.
GPS
Never used it! Judging from my experience with Google Earth, I wouldn't try to find a dentist by name or address on a major highway passing through a minor Mexican town.
GOOGLE EARTH
I'm happy to report that I finally appreciate remote viewing--Google Earth.I took a virtual walk down by the crossroads to find the dentist and found the sign from a block away. If you zoom too rapidly some objects may melt like a surrealistic painting.
MAPS
Maps don't work well without street signs.
ASK A MEXICAN DIRECTIONS
A school girl waiting for a bus points in the direction she saw a bus traveling with that name on its placard.
A shop keeper says you should come in - he has one in  stock.
A man on the street gives you directions to a street by that name in the hood.
IF YOU GET GOOD DIRECTIONS
They will come across as "Go to the crucifix. Go right to the veterans hospital. Go left to the place. Go left to the police station. Enter and turn yourself in as a crazy Gringo."
Obviously, a few things got lost in the translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment