Saturday, October 8, 2011

Diamonds in Baja preview 6 - Green Mojave

The 18-wheeler was coming down the highway in the dark with one light out. It did not see the woman carrying the baby. She began shrieking in terror. The truck made impact.
Jerry awoke with a start from his dream state. Somebody was hollering.
“ . . . Sheet! Damn! Ouuh sheet! Did chu do thees to me Jerry? ’Cause eef you did . . .”
“Hey! People are trying to sleep! The sun’s not even up yet. What the Hell’re you squawkin’ about?”
Irene was shaking. “You did it! I’m through with you! The trip is over! Let’s go back! I will take all of my chingararas out of your place and find a new place to stay!”
“Hey! ¡Mi corazón! I love you!”
“Then why deed you put that scorpion in my pantaloons?”
“Scorpion? Oh shit!” Jerry jumped off his cot--being very careful where he stepped. “Where is he?”
“He’s right over there! What you wanna to do, take heem home for the kitty-cat to play weeth?”
Jerry cringed as he gingerly stepped over the sharp stones and captured the scorpion in the matchbox from the table.
“I just want to examine him.”
“Am I going to die?”
“I dunno! Give me a minute!”
Jerry fumbled through the SUV for his bug book. He found it and turned pages endlessly. “Guess what?”
“I dun’t know!”
“He’s a Mojave Green. You’re lucky! Your gonna live, but you will be in lots of pain for several hours.”
“Lucky! What you mean lucky! Eat hurts like hell! I can’t even walk!”
“Where did he bite you that it hurts so much?”
“On my puussee, idiot! Where did you theenk he beet me?”
“How in the Hell did he sting you on your pussy?”
“I dun’t know?”
“Did you make sure your clothes were all off of the ground and shake them before putting them on, like I told you?”
“No, Señor! I deedn’t!”
“Lucy, what am I going to do with you?”
“I’m sorry, Ricky! Let’s go home play cards with Fred ‘n’ Ethel?”
“Nope! You won’t ruin our vacation by being contrary. You were warned and you messed up, but you’ll live. Anyway, you’d be feeling better before we could even get back to Bakersfield. Now where’s breakfast?”
“What? ¡Vete a hacer puñetas!”
“Just kidding! Red Mountain is just about a half hour from here. But it’s your turn to drive.”
“¡Puto!”
“Alright! I’ll drive, but you owe me. I suppose I have to pick up all of the camp stuff by myself?”
“You damn right, Gringo!”
Jerry cleaned everything up and changed out of his geek clothes into his desert duds. When he was done, he hardly looked the same.
The only place that was open in Red Mountain was The Red Mountain Café and Cantina.
They parked around back to shade the Raider from the early desert sun and went inside. Irene limped like a two-dollar whore.
Mostly locals were inside, except for a biker sitting by himself. They sat up front and watched the street to see who else in town was awake. Jerry ordered the Red Mountain equivalent of a Grand Slam breakfast and Irene ordered some chorizo with a Margarita.
Jerry snickered. “That chorizo won’t help!”
Irene frowned. “What do you mean?”
“You can’t poop out the pain--it goes away on its own.”
“Shut up! I love you, but shut up!”
“Tell you what! I’ll throw in an extra treat. We’ll stop by the Stove Pipe Wells cantina tonight and have some drinks and check in late at Furnace Creek Ranch!”
“Oh! I love you! And I thought I would have to sleep with Señor Scorpion again tonight.”
The biker paid his bill and walked out.
“Jeez! Geraldo! It’s him again!” she whispered.
Jerry looked out the window. Sure enough, it was the same dude. “We should pick up a paper before we leave town and take it with us. It may have a picture of that Frank guy. That may be him.”
The truck delivered the newspapers to the café and one of the waitresses placed them in a sales rack. Jerry and Irene finished their meal and bought one of the newspapers. As they turned to go out, that same biker was heading out of town on the same bike with a thunderous roar.
A few moments later, they headed out in the same direction as the biker.
Frank--riding free--soon out-distanced them. He turned off onto Ballarat Road towards Sentinel Peak. He buzzed the ghost town of Ballarat and headed up the mountain towards the Panamint City ghost town.
He waited patiently for the last tourists to leave for the day, all the while pretending to enjoy the scenery. He was careful to lay his jacket inside up on his bike, at the ghost town, to hide its emblem, and he kept his face averted from the tourists. Finally, the last tourists left and Frank was alone.
There was a trail, Johnson Canyon Trail, which led up close to Sentinel Peak. He followed it a short distance until it became too steep. There he hid his bike behind a thick Utah Juniper. He climbed to the pass, from where he could view the great expanse of Death Valley.
It was cooler up here--8,200 feet above the sea--the sea that he had watched so many times from his San Quentin cell. Frank was grateful that he had thought to buy matches and a cook stove. He would spend the night on the summit. He set up a makeshift camp and rolled a joint. Tonight he would enjoy the smell of pine needles, by a campfire, and not worry about rat droppings or the police. It felt so good he hardly noticed the cold.
Down below at 1,050-foot elevation, Jerry and Irene had stopped to prowl around the ghost town of Ballarat. Jerry had told Irene that the road into Death Valley over Towne’s pass was a 13 per cent grade. He thought they should wait until the relative coolness of afternoon to cross over.
When they left, driving towards Panamint Springs, Irene reminded Jerry that the radio news the day before had said that Frank had been arrested near Panamint Springs. Jerry thought it was probably a coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment