Monday, November 8, 2010

Review of 'The White-Skin Deer: Hoopa Stories' by Elizabeth Schultz

As I finished my last story, Ishi Pishi, I wanted to see what others had written about the Klamath River, the Hoopah Indians, Sasquatch, and Happy Camp. I restricted my search to Kindle Books. This provided few hits. All were by authors unknown to me. One was an esoteric treatise on Indians in general. Several discussed Sasquatch, a la Coast to Coast radio. That left two. Since I had hoped to download two books, I bought them both as pigs in pokes, without reading the descriptions.
Today I'll review the book that intrigued me.
If I had read the description, I might have passed--relatively unknown female Mormon poet writes about Hoopa Indians.
Before I finished the first page I was hooked.
She charms the reader by skillfully applying her poetic skills to a collection of prose short stories. Using her poetic talents seem to have facilitated her understanding and incorporation of beautiful Hoopa thought patterns and views into her own writing. She sounds like a Hoopa.
The stories explain sacred Hoopa traditions and spirituality. They contrast the fears of the tribal elders regarding the behavior of the younger, who seem all to eager to cast aside tribal values for those of their relatively thoughtless and crass white neighbors.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Next time you feel like going native; if you don't read 'Ishi Pishi,' then read 'The White-Skin Deer.'

No comments:

Post a Comment